When I was little, I used to bring home every stray or wounded animal and person without a thought in the world, because I could see magic & miracles in each one of them. I even tried to save every plant and bug I came across. My parents were annoyed. We lived in a small house and they never knew when they might find a raccoon in the shower using their body wash.
Back then, I truly believed I could help everyone and everything. I still believe that, but differently than before. Being the way I was back then definitely set me up for some major challenges and heartbreaks throughout my life.
First off, my family worried a lot about me, because I was so naive that I would believe the best of every situation. And I was so selfless that I would sacrifice myself, my possessions, and my well-being for the sake of other people, animals and the planet. I was called by something much larger than myself, and knew deep down I was here to make a difference. Unfortunately, I needed to go to the school of hard knocks to learn a few important lessons before I was ready to help people and the planet the way I envisioned.
Looking back, I’m much more appreciative of the experiences I went through even if they were hard. And oh my gosh, they were hard. In fact, they shaped me into the person I am today.
I am still selfless in my generosity & love but have set clear boundaries. Now, I put myself first. I fill my cup so I can better help and serve others. Periodically I still fall for someone manipulating my heart-strings, but for the most part, I have found my strength, and have become grounded in who I am and what I have to offer.
Wisdom has captured my heart and now I have a better understanding of how to help, who to help, and when to help.
Here are 7 things I learned that make it easier for me to help people without being taken advantage of or causing myself misfortune, challenges or illness:
1. Empathy & sympathy are very different. I can be with someone going through something without me having to connect deeply with them on their emotional level. Lowering my vibrations and feeling like they feel doesn’t actually help them. It just makes me feel worse. They feel better momentarily to have company in their misery, but at what cost?
2. Scheduled self-time is a must. It is crucial to schedule a time for me to use 100% for myself unapologetically in any way I wish. This helps me nourish my soul & connect with my inner being.
3. Mindset makes magic. Getting my mindset right at the beginning of the day (and often throughout) helps me deal with anything that comes my way, protects my energy, and helps me to attract better circumstances for myself and others. I use meditation, positive affirmations, breathing, tapping & appreciation techniques.
4. Not everyone wants or needs help. People are receptive to different things at different times, based on their experiences, circumstances, interests, needs, filters, understanding and mindset. Even if we see an opportunity to better their life or circumstance, they will often not see it or agree with it. If we push to help people, they often resist more. It is best to use our energy wisely.
5. There are ways to provide help & support for people, animals & the planet without having to lower our vibration or get sucked into drama, negativity or misfortune. I have spent a lifetime learning and testing how to do this, and I’ve created many things to connect with people at all levels, so they can gently improve their well-being & circumstances, and raise their vibrations, without having to be forced or manipulated into anything. Contrary to what I used to believe, people don’t need to realize a breakdown to have a breakthrough.
6. Every little bit helps. It doesn’t have to take a massive shift to make a difference for yourself or others. In times when everything feels hopeless and terrible, you can shift things little by little, moment by moment, and in an easy, non-upsetting way. Each tiny event has an impact on our thoughts, which then impacts our feelings, actions & results, so it’s easier to take tiny actions and feel little improvements than try to change everything all at once.
7. Commit to self-love, forgiveness & compassion. When I am in alignment with my higher self, I am more aware of what is good for myself and others, and what is not. I am more receptive to better ideas and know the actions to take for the results I want. So I make a commitment to do the energy work and connect with my higher self before anything else. I end up making fewer mistakes, having better relationships and have more peace.
If you’re anything like me and you want to help better the world, you’ll benefit from some of the things I have to offer. I specialize in helping people with their projects and goals, and I never judge them for where they’re at or what they’re dealing with.
Instead, I help them see what’s possible, make the plans, become the people, and connect with the resources they need to bring their dreams to life.
Please visit my website to find more ways you can live your dreams & fulfil on your projects & goals.
Amy Thomson is a creative social entrepreneur and coach, always engaging in projects to help people have better lives, more fulfilment, and live with passion & purpose.